Mar 27, 2008

Ning Niche Networking

I am a recent convert to the world of Ning, just after they reached over 200 000 networks! So yes, you can call me one of the slow early adopters, I call it a survival skill: Why go through all the pain when I can let my network try everything out and go on their recommendations!

After browsing around Ning for 10 minutes, I decided that this is a great place to create a presence for a very niche activity: Paragliding. Online, there are only about 5 paragliding blogs and maybe about 100k register pilots world wide, serious niche stuff! And so Cloudseekers was born. See my post about the idea, click here.

The growth of the network has been pretty decent especially taking into consideration the very small size of the online paragliding community. This response led my thoughts towards my real job which is now a ‘Snap Consultant’ and focuses on internal communications delivery software so naturally I am wanting to network with internal communicators in decent sized companies. Ning didn’t disappoint! A quick search on Ning and I came across this network http://internalcommunications.ning.com. Brilliant! Internal Comms is a sub set of communications which is a subset of marketing which is a sub set of business so this is a very well defined, small audience yet Ning has a network for it!

Ning certainly is niche networking at its best. You can set up Facebook groups for such niches but as we are all aware, activity ceases on these after about a week so this is a great way of keeping a very niche community active.

So my point is quite simple really, get on Ning, find your niche and network!

No comments: